Past Sins: The Musical

L'area per tutte le attività dei Bronies d'Italia: fan arts, fanfiction, incontri, e tutto ciò che coinvolge gli utenti della nostra comunità.

Past Sins: The Musical

Messaggioda TimonFM » 21/06/2015, 11:34

Eeyup, ho deciso di gettarmi in un progettone che mi prenderà anni di vita, oltre che quasi 2000€ di missaggio. Ma cosa non si fa per passione? E per notorietà? E per un ritorno economico? Vi giro il messaggio che annuncia l'apertura delle audizioni. Vi avverto: è in inglese.

-----

Immagine

Hi ^^

I'm TimonFM and, along my friend and lyricist nh_snork, I've worked on the soundtrack of Beyond The Stars (www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKoAY3…). We've enjoyed that experience so we decided to go on with our partnership and start a new, much bigger project: we'll make a whole musical out of one of the most beautiful fanfictions ever written: Pen Stroke's Past Sins.

Like every musical, Past Sins will start with a concept album. We can't assure it will be brought onstage, almost certainly it won't; but this fandom has proven capable of anything, so it will be worth the try. ^^

My main source of inspiration are Wildhorn's gothic pop musicals like Jekyll&Hyde, but I also put some lighthearted song to keep the mood from becoming too gloomy. Most of the songs will have an orchestral arrangement.

Since there are basically only two people working on this musical, the writing process and the auditions for the concept album will take place AT THE SAME TIME.

We're auditioning for almost all the roles, with the only exception of Stonewall, whose part is already taken.

The auditions consist in two phases. Read carefully if you're interested in playing a role in the album.

The first phase will take part during the first part of the writing process, while I'm recording piano+melody demos of the songs and nh_snork is writing the lyrics. To partecipate you have to send at one of my contacts below your cover of whatever song you want, but I'd prefer a song from a musical, a Disney movie or even a MLP episode. It's good to have a good idea of what character you'd like to play in order to choose the right song and the right interpretation.

The second phase will take part once both lyrics and demos are finished, when I'm recording an orchestral version of the arrangement. Those who impressed me the most in the first phase will receive demo, lyrics and the piano part of a song depending on the role you have been offered (three songs if the role is Nightmare Moon). If you received the material, you have to send me a MP3 or a WAV file with the piano part and your voice singing the melody played by the flute in the demo.

Here's a list of the roles for which I'm auditioning:

SPOILER ALERT!

Spell Nexus: although none of the characters is really a villain, Spell Nexus's actions are undoubtedly evil for most of the story. He's an elegant professor, with noble manners and a very rich vocabulary. He's not a rude or a psychopatic villain, intstead he's very fascinating in a mysterious way. We could say he's something like the Phantom Of The Opera, which it's not a restrictive comparison since some Phantoms had very different voices and tecniques. He has some spoken lines in the first song and in Pinkie's solo, in which he's exhasperated for the way she is knocking out his entire army while thinking they want to play tag.

Night Wind & Gray Gale: along with Stonewall, these mares are the most reliable followers of Spell Nexus. They don't sing, they only have spoken lines.

Twilight Sparkle: the most challenging role, second only to Nightmare Moon. She's Nyx's adoptive mother and she cares about her more than anything. Almost all her lines involve Nyx: she conforts her, or she fears to lose her. The actress who will lend her voice to Twilight must be able to instill those emotions to the audience. She also must be able to reach high notes without falsetto. She has some spoken lines.

Princess Celestia: other than ordering "FREEZE!" in a spoken line in the first song, she has a singing role in a song, as she hopes Nightmare Moon hasn't returned in the form of Nyx. Her part is not very challenging, her voice is regal and elegant.

Rarity: We all know what Rarity is: a diva. She has her solo, during which she teaches Nyx proper etiquette. Her style is frivolous, she has some high notes.

Nyx: as a filly Nightmare Moon is cute and fragile, but she still has a determined personality. In the fanfic her voice is described as "Similar to a glass harp": it should give you a good idea of how pure should be her timbre. She is probably the most emotional character in the whole musical. She has some high notes.

Nightmare Moon: here we are, our main character. A very challenging role that requires a large vocal range and great acting skills, since her emotions varies from sadism to rage, from self-accomplishment to guilt, from fear to resignation. That's why I need more than a demo to decide which candidate would make the best Nightmare Moon, since she's not the ruthless villain of the series. She also have some spoken lines in Pinkie's solo, when she can't help but chuckle at the situation, and in the finale.

Apple Bloom: a filly which hasn't got difficult melodies. She often sings together with the other CMCs. The main difficulty with this character is her Southern accent.

Scootaloo: another filly, another member of CMCs. She sings with the other 2 members but she also sings with Cherilee, since she's the only CMC that looks for Nyx in Canterlot's Castle. Due to her worried state of mind during this song, this role needs more acting skills than the other CMCs.

Sweetie Belle: another filly, when she sings with the CMC she has the higher melodies in the harmonies, so a good vocal range is needed.

Cherilee: along with Scootaloo she follows Nyx at Canterlot's castle, worried for Nyx after hearing her cries. Her part is not very difficult.

Pinkie Pie: in an otherwise depressing II act, Pinkie has the vital function of lighten the mood with her solo. As I mentioned before, she basically knocks out an entire army thinking they wanted to play tag just because she hat to deliver a birthday invitation to Nightmare Moon. This moment was perfect for a Pinkie-Style song. Her voice is high pitched, her style is very over the top. The actress who plays her role must be to sing lots and lots of words in a few seconds. Because we all know how Pinkie is. She has some spoken lines in her solo.

The Secret Character: he/she makes a cameo in the finale. He/she isn't even mentioned in the fanfiction. If you can guess who this charachter is, you can try to audiotion for his/her role. Since he/she is a special character, I could offer the role to people who didn't auditioned, too.

The Ensemble is composed by the Children of The Night and Ponyville's citizens. The actors will be chosen between those who have made a good impression in both the auditions but were unlucky to find an even more talented artist candidated for the same role. Members of the Ensemble can be promoted to the First Cast if the candidate chosen for a role doesn't send a recording for the final version.

Useful advices:

- Many melodies aren't easy, so vocal tecnique is important. But there's something which is more important: emotions. If you tecnique is perfect and flawless, but you won't let me connect with the character's emotions, then I'll choose a less skilled but more emotional candidate.

- Audio quality is vital: even if you are the new Idina Menzel, you won't pass the second phase if your microphone doesn't make his job properly. I'll spend lot of efforts and money on the mastering and it couldn't be ruined by a low quality recording of the voice.

That's all! If you are interested, you can find me via one of the contacts below:

Patreon: www.patreon.com/user?u=340646&
dA: timonfm.deviantart.com/
tumblr: www.tumblr.com/blog/timonfm
e-mail: giacomoscardi@gmail.com
twitter: @giacomoscardia
YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCgvzk
google+: plus.google.com/11834911361187…

-----

Ovviamente, se volete partecipare, siete i benvenuti :D
TimonFM
Blank Flank
Blank Flank

Pony preferito: Octavia

Torna a Biblioteca Golden Oaks